Swedish girl dies from jellyfish sting on Koh Lanta

Swedish girl dies from jellyfish sting on Koh Lanta

Having just posted a blog entry last month about the presence of box jelly fish in Thailand, this week a Swedish 10 year old girl died from jellyfish stings on Koh Lanta, although there's no reports of box jelly fish in this tragic event, it just shows how dangerous these animals can be.

My condolences for the family of the child.

Here's the full story as reported in the The Local, Sweden's news in English paper, as reported on 3rd April 2008;

A Swedish girl died on Thursday morning in a swimming accident on the tourist island of Koh Lanta in Thailand.

The girl went into anaphylactic shock--a severe allergic reaction--after being stung by a jellyfish,” said a nurse to the Aftonbladet newspaper.

The 10-year-old girl was swimming in the waters off of Klong Dao Beach when she was stung by the jellyfish.

She suffered a quick, hypersensitive reaction and was taken to hospital where doctors worked for an hour and a half but couldn’t save the girl’s life.

Koh Lanta is a popular tourist destination for many Swedes.


Labels: , ,